Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Blast from the Past - The late Michael Jackson

I saw these two article on Michael Jackson’s website and I thought I would share it here. Having been familiar with Michael Jackson’s work though my favorite pub, the Unicorn, it was time to share two articles from his website on Beer.

Article #1 is about the great diversity of beers in American and the availability of beers in America. Europe brews some of the best beers in the world, but most pubs have only a few on tap. In most countries, the pubs are “closed houses”. In other words they carry beers from only one brewery. There are “free houses”, such as my favorite pub in London, the Hollybush, but they are few and far between.

Article #2 is about one of the great American brewers, Bert Grant. Bert was one of the main players in the craft beer revolution in America, but never got his due. He was the first brewer to brew an Imperial Stout in the United States, as far as I know and he made extensive use of locally grown ingredients in his beer. I am also partial to Bert Grant having met him through the Unicorn, when he would stop by on occasion with a new beer. Bert was one of those characters that craft brewing, just seems to have.

These two stories give an insight into what makes American craft brewing so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment